No announcement yet.

A shot from shortly before totality

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A shot from shortly before totality

The initial direction you view shows the shadow approaching, although it's modest. Of course, the sun still overwhelms the sensor, so there is no detail to be seen there, but you'll get a feeling for what it looked like. I think it's still a good shot for what it is, but wish I had been able to keep shooting. I'd taken 14 shots in about 45 minutes at that point, and really don't know why it stopped shooting. There was plenty of memory, the battery was fully charged when I started, and it cooled off well before the shadow even reached this point.

That said, my Giroptic 360cam overachieved; full 360° video is at and flat 360° video (which is much more watchable since the resolution is entirely packed into the window) is at -- the content of the videos is the same; the only difference is that the latter is flat. In the flat one, you can clearly see the shadow approaching (from beyond the white lightpole beyond the electrical console the camera was on), the shadow bands rippling across the top of that console a moment later, and the full-horizon sunset during the peak of totality. Auto exposure was on, and you'll see the camera adjust every few moments, but it still captures the indigos and silvers. (The 360° full version is fun to look at and spin around in, but ends up looking like a videogame from 20 years ago.) You'll even see the Panono on its tripod.

I flew into Nashville International Airport from Chicago the morning of the eclipse -- one of the last flights allowed to land before a ground stop was issued so planes didn't interfere with viewing -- and flew out a couple of hours after it ended. Well worth it. Hopefully, come the next eclipse, the Panono will work from start to finish. The photos it did get were pretty nice, but this last one it took is really the only one that even shows the approach.

Thank you for sharing this information, I also often use LR! I really like these free lightroom presets for pet photography.